Singapore Dump Out Myanmar And Reach Last Four

After convincingly defeating Cambodia 5-0 in their opening game two days ago, Singapore knew that a win today would ensure their place in the last four. And with that in mind, the Lions went for the kill but they probably even surprised themselves with such an early strike.
Singapore pulled away in the 16th minute through Agu Casmir before Myanmar struck back through Myo Min Tun. Agu sealed it for Singapore with a quickly taken freekick in the 74th minute which the Myanmar team protested to.

The win for Singapore today however is not yet enough to decide if they will emarge the group champions. Indonesia will face Cambodia and should the hosts win, both Singaore and Indonesia will be tied on six points apiece. It will then set the stage for a grand showdown between both teams in the last Group A match on Tuesday to decide who will finish at the top of the pile. Winning the group is crucial as it will avoid an early battle with another of the tournament’s pre-event favourites, Thailand.

In today’s match, Singapore certainly could not have asked for a better start. In their very first move up, the Lions struck gold through Mohd Noh Alam . Due to the horrendous blunder, Myanmar were forced to play catch up from then on. The rain which started 15 minutes before the game began to ease up and Singapore began to intensify their attacks.

Their efforts paid off in the 16th minute when Agu doubled the score.
A defender cleared a corner kick from Shi Jiayi but it landed at the feet of Agu who volleyed it home for his third goal of the tournament.

Myanmar made some moves up but they hardly caused Singapore coach Raddy Avromovic any concern. But out of the blue, Myanmar stunned everyone when the speedy Myo Min Tun split the Singapore defence and slotted the ball past goalkeeper Lionel Lewis in the 27th minute.

Myanmar, with their confidence boosted, began to push forward more, providing the Singapore defence with more anxious moments. Just four minutes from the break, Myanmar’s Zaw Htet Aung’s solid freekick curled past the wall but was well caught by Lionel.

Myanmar came on strong after the break and began to ush up in search of the equaliser. Skipper Soe Myat Min, lanky striker Yan Paing and the nippy Yazar Win Thein were creating problems for the Singapore defenders. They got through on several occassions but their shots were all off the mark. Their spirit and determination were remarkable and they continued to pile the pressure but the Lions were able to absorb anything that went their way. Singapore’s experience was obvious and it especially showed when they qere quick to take a freekick in the 74th minute that led to the goal.

Myanmar were not happy and protested which led to goalkeeper Aung Aung Oo being given the red card. Worse still for Myanmar was when Myat Min had to be sacrficed to bring in reserve keeper Kyaw Zin Htet. Play was held up for about eight minutes. Myanmar eventually continued with the match which ended in a 3-1 win for the Lions


~ by sambalfootball7 on December 9, 2008.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: